How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I'm getting divorced and my pension is in the US. It can't

This answer was rated:

I'm getting divorced and my pension is in the US. It can't be split in any way, rolled over or divided to avoid tax.
I will instead provide a lump sum payment to my spouse ( we are both permanently in the UK ) in lieu of any more pension rights. It will be about £150,000. Since I've accumulated this lump sum through my regular pay ( US sourced as well ), I have already paid income tax on it. My ex-wife will want to put it into some kind of fund for her to be able to use in her retirement. Is there a fund she can qualify for that shows that tax has already been paid on the principle amount? She is 43. Will she have to pay taxes again on this amount?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your ex will not have to pay tax on the amount that she receives and can invest it as she wishes
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you