How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my estranged daughter is now 19 years old. I believe she is

This answer was rated:

my estranged daughter is now 19 years old. I believe she is at art college. I have been paying monthly maintenance by private arrangement to her mother for the last 17 years. Am I obliged to continue this? If so, for how long?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you know if she is doing a Degree at College or a lesser qualification?
when will she be 20?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She will be 20 in march 2016. I think what she is doing is called a foundation degree.

In that case you are entitled to stop payment immediately as she is no longer in Secondary education.
You do need to be aware that your daughter could apply for maintenance in her own right - but this is unlikely to be successful unless you are in fact relatively wealthy!
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you