How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

good morning my name is ***** ***** question is i have a son

This answer was rated:

good morning my name is ***** ***** question is i have a son who is going to be 18 in june this year.i have supported him money wise all his life he will be going to univercity
in September can i stop his child Maintenance payments then , or should i have stopped paying when he was 16? by the way i was even paying more than i should have for the first five years of his life, thanks
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. May I ask have you made maintenance payments voluntarily or is there a court order or arrangement in place via the CSA which provides for maintenance payments please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Joshua for getting back to me.

to answer your question. the maintenance payments have been made voluntarily ever since my son was a baby,

my x wife and i did not want the CSA involved

for the last year iv'e payed my son £200 a month directly into his own bank account,

like iv'e already said ,he will be 18 in June this year, going to univercity in September this year.

So can i stop his payments now?

also he has a part time job .working in a supermarket.

many thanks i look forward to your reply .

one more thing people have told you can stop a childs money even at 16 , is this true?

Thank you very much for that information. On that basis maintenance is payable until the date your son leaves full time secondary education. Secondary education includes GCSEs A levels iGCSEs Pre-U International Baccalaureate NVQ/SVQ level 1, 2 or 3 BTEC National Diploma, National Certificate and First Diploma SCE higher grade or similar but excludes degree level education - e.g. university degrees and so on. So maintenance does not continue once he has left full time education to attend university. It is however possible for your son to make an application for continuing maintenance if he wanted to go to university under schedule 1 of the Childrens Act which would be assessed on all the circumstances, and such applications are not overly common. Parents cannot make any further applications on his behalf now he has reached 18. Notwithstanding any application your son were to make personally as above maintenance would end as discussed above. Of course it goes without saying that you can continue to make any such voluntary further payments you wish. I hope the above is of assistance? If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click to rate my service to you today or just reply back to let me know if the above is helpful. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me.
Joshua and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Joshua ,you have put me in the picture , about this matter .

please accept this reply as positive feedback to you.

best regards ***** *****

Many thanks. I am glad I could assist. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do not hesitate to revert to me