How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a joint tenancy the other tenant has never lived in

This answer was rated:

I have a joint tenancy the other tenant has never lived in this property.He has been in prison for over 8 years now. I do not want him to move back in with me on release ( I do not have a date for this) I am moving to another property and have been told I have to have his signature on the paperwork .What can I do.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is this a Council tenancy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a housing association tenancy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is a housing association property

Are you still in contact with your ex at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Do you know which prison he is currently in?
If not can you find out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I may be able to through the probation services.

In that case the way forward is to apply to the court for the Transfer of the Tenancy into your sole name.
This is done using the form here
You will be using The Family Law Act 1996
You will need to send it to him in Prison - but then the application will go ahead and the tenancy will be transferred d into your sole name
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you