How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Of my adultery, my wife and myself want to to divorce. Wife

Customer Question

For reasons of my adultery, my wife and myself want to to divorce.
Wife is Dutch and lives in Holland.
I am British but have not resided in UK for 30 years except for 2 weeks in order to marry.
What is the simplest, cheapest way for us to divorce, please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where so you reside?
What links do you still have in the Uk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only credit cards, a bank account, grown up children and a sister, who's address I use for bank, post etc. are linked to UK.

I visit for about 4 or 5 weekends per year usually.

As I mentioned, we needed to reside in a hotel for 2 weeks before we could marry in UK - is there was a similar arrangement to divorce?

I am not officially resident anywhere unless I work there for a long time and need to register.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was registered as residing (and working in Nigeria until March 31st where I've just finished working but am in Holland for a few weeks so I am not registered as living anywhere until I find work.

My only links in UK are visiting family for 4 or 5 weekends per year and using my sister's address for mail, bank etc.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.


My apologies for the delay - I was unexpectedly offline.

Where do you anticipate going next?

How long were you in Nigeria


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I expect to go back to Nigeria

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You could struggle to obtain a divorce here in the UK given the fact that you have no strong links here and your wife lives in the Netherlands
However you can argue that your "Domicile" is still the Uk in so far as you have no home anywhere else.
On that basis, and assuming that your wife will not challenge it, you could issue proceedings in England and Wales using your Uk address. (your sister's)
You can read more here
Please ask if you need further details