How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband has left home after an affair that has been on and

Customer Question

My husband has left home after an affair that has been on and off for two years, we have tried counselling and now for the third time he has been deceiving me to see her again. What are my rights, can I change the locks, remove his belongings from the house ,Tec?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved.
Who owns the property, how much is it worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have lived together for 21 years, married for 13, no children, house in my name, worth approx £150k, mortgage balance approx £100k

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How much do you each earn?
Have you discussed the possible financial settlement at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I earn £34000 per annum, mal £7/he on a 20-30/week contract & nothing discussed as yet

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid that your husband has Matrimonial Home Rights on the property - which includes the right to return there whenever he wishes (provided he is not violent of course)
I am afraid that the only reason you could change the locks would be if you lost your keys.
The best way forward would be to try and discuss the possible settlement using Family Mediation
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details