How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can my ex change my son's name without my consent?We have

Customer Question

Can my ex change my son's name without my consent?
We have been separated for 6 years and I have not had contact since he was a few month's old.
I am going through the C100 court process now to change that.
I have made contact with the school and presented the birth certificate, which I am on, and they have informed me of my son's name change.
They have a photocopy of a deed poll document that I have not seen.
Appreciate any information on this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Legally no she should not have changed the child's name without your agreement or an Order from the Court.
Indeed it is unlikely that she will be able to get a passport in the new name, and you should ask the school why they accepted the Change of name deed in the absence of evidence that you had consented or the Court had ordered it.
Please ask if you need further details