How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a reidence order child .do i also need special

This answer was rated:

i have a reidence order for a child .do i also need special guardianship as well to consent to medical treatment /
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what is your relationship.
Who else has Parental Responsibility
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the child is my great-graddaughter she has lived with me since she was 4years old and she is now 13years old. i was given residence for her when she was 5years old with consent from her parents.. her mother is my granddaughter.. the child has special needs.
Both parents have PR

Has anyone questioned your authority to act in this matter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no but i may need to give my permission for a minor operation soo so would like to be sure i have the authority to do this

Yes the Residence Order gives you full authority for this and you do not need a Special Guardianship Order.
That would only be needed if the parents regularly disagreed with your care of the child and you needed the protection of knowing that you had the final decision.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you