How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My mum 81 yrs old is a full british citizen and was staying

Customer Question

my mum 81 yrs old is a full british citizen and was staying with me for 10 yrs but unfortunately she was admitted to hospital the bills i has to pay which i am still struggling to pay she was discharged from hospital after she was stable so i sent her to london , england where she was again admitted to hospital in london what the nurse tells she is now fine and will need placement but social services would want to talk to me regarding my mum as she was flagged on arrival as a visitor even though she has full british citizen ship. my question is this i am unable to pay for her hospital bills as since she is a british citizen should not the social services be caring for her , as my father was a british taxpayer for over 30 yrs and now my mum also is a taxpayer on her pension. thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question, I will assist you with this.
Have you, your mother and father been living outside the UK for the last few years? If so, how long? Do you own any property in the UK that you return to visit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes my father and mother lived in Kenya and my mother was living with him as his dependent as she always i.e my mother was holding british passport my father was a kenyan citizen as he renounced his british citizenship. i also lived in kenya but migrated to canada in 2004 and have lived in canada since . my father died in 2005 and i brought my mother to canada to live with me i couldn't get her status done in canada as the requirement is to apply from country of residence or citizenship .upon my fathers death my mother lost her status to stay in kenya and the british high commission in kenya refused to help i was forced by circumstances to bring her to canada as i was refused viza to accompany my mother , i made a second attempt to resolve my mothers issue and went to london in 2009 , i did tell the uk , london immigration officer my mother is a british citizen , and has no status in canada and i want her matter resolved , the immigration officers were not prepared to listen and put a refusal to enter britian on my canadian passport the immigration officers did see the certificate of registration as a british citizen of my mother despite that they put me in holding cell and put me back to canada in the next flight , it was a horrible experience for me.

Bottombline we lived in kenya and i migrated to canada , and we don't have any property in uk.

Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Asghari

I think you require a specialist in immigration law for this matter - it is not a simple question of entitlement to NHS treatment and social services assistance.

I shall opt out and hope one of my colleagues can pick this up for you.