How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a twice divorced man retired, I have met a new partner

This answer was rated:

I am a twice divorced man retired, I have met a new partner who wishes to move in with me. Can you advise me how I should protect myself and my property should the relationship fail?
Kind regards
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you have any intention of remarrying?
How will the financial burdens been shared between you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Clare,thank you for responding. I have no intention to remarrying,

I own my house outright, the plan would be to open

an household account and both contribute equally to the running costs and grocery bills etc. my partner would rent her house to enhance her income. I hope this helps.



Provided your new partner does not make any financial contribution to the property in terms of mortgage or payment for alterations of improvements to the property then she will not have a claim on it.
To ensure that there is clarity about the situation it would be sensible to have a Cohabitation Agreement drawn up to set out the agreement between you.
This is of importance in the event of your death, as after you have lived together for two years your partner could have a potential claim on the estate in respect of the property.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you