How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Where do I stand please with regard to the house...I paid a

Customer Question

Where do I stand please with regard to the house...I paid a big deposit around £10K...She wants to buy me out and just give my deposit back, but I don’t think that's fair. We have been trying to sort out our relationship out since last October, (I fell out with her daughter so I have been staying at the house when she is at her Dad's which is 50% of the time). She/stepson have been paying most of the bills since October last year. I have been paying around £200 towards bills, and helping out with shopping, nappies & clothes for my son. I have been staying in Croydon some of the time (work). She filed for divorce about 2 weeks ago. We have 1 child together. The stepson, our baby and her daughter (50% of the time) live at the property currently. I am currently in a house share (moved in 2 weeks ago).
The house was bought for £177K in March 2014. Things are bitter between us now, we have both accepted that the marriage is over. Where do I stand with the house please.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?