How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Clare, I should have the valuations, letter etc. done

This answer was rated:

Hi Clare,
I should have the valuations, letter etc. done by the end of the week
However in the meantime the mortgage is already 3 payments behind and I'm concerned about the bank starting repossession.
What would you advise? should I contact the mortgage company and explain? or should I tell the estate agent to start paying the rent to me?
Thank you for your question.
As a starting point speak to the Letting Agent and arrange for the money to be used to pay the mortgage.
If that fails then you will need to negotiate with the Mortgage Company
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I should ask her to change the account into which the rent is being paid to mine and inform her of the circumstances and reasons?

Yes that would be an excellent idea
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just spoke to her and she refused and said she needs my ex to approve the change of bank details because his name is ***** ***** contract(tenancy agreement).

How do you advise I approach the mortgage company?

Is your name also on the agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it is my ex's name on the agreement,

With regards ***** ***** letter, which documents do I send to him? just the valuations?

what's the procedure if I need you to review documents?

You could point out to the Estate agent that
1. As a joint owner who is not named on the letting agreement you could disrupt the tenancy by attending and entering the property whenever you wish to do so
2. The mortgage is in arrears and this will mean that the property will be repossessed unless matters can be resolved.
Ask if they are willing to pay the mortgage direct
With regard to the letter you will also need to send the mortgage statement.
i shall ask customer services to ocntact you regarding emailing documentation
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She's agreed to pay the rent to the mortgage company. I will wait to hear from customer services. Thanks

Excellent news