How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I have separated, we have a little girl aged 2.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have separated, we have a little girl aged 2. We are in the process of getting divorced, which is at the decree absolute stage. We have agreed a child maintenance figure but at a late stage she has requested spousal maintenance? We both work full time in the same industry earning the same amount (40k per year). She now has a family home as an asset along with a car and savings and a larger pension than me. I also have similar savings and a car but not other assets. Am I obliged to support her financially?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Just for clarity - how much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare
She purchased the house a year ago for £265000 and I'm sure she took out an interest only mortgage for £140000. I can only assume the price of the house may have increased to about £275000??
Since you both earn the same there is no requirement for you to pay her spouse maintenance
Your child maintenance should be 12% of your gross income - less if you have the child overnight more than 52 nights a year
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you