How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been looking after my son last 3 years /4

This answer was rated:

I have been looking after my son for the last 3 years for 3/4 days every week , and my ex has him the rest of the week. But due to my job I could not always pick him up on the days I should have him, and if my parents could not pick him up my ex had to have.
Now she has stopped me from seeing him and a solicitor has now got involved. my boy must really hate me now as I have to keep avoiding him due to the. solicitor
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is your child and what is your work pattern?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Matthew 3yrs 3months old. I will be changing job shortly and will be working Monday to Friday on days.

I used to pick Matthew up( or 1 of my family would) and we would have him Tuesday-Weds and take him home Thursday morning. back on Sat till Monday.

Then other week I would have him Tuesday- Weds back Thursday. Then back Friday take home Saturday.

Now I cant even see him at all. They want me just to have him 11am-5pm on Tuesday and Friday with no more sleep overs, after 3yrs how can they justify this, I have done nothing wrong apart from falling out with my ex.


How often did you have to change the arrangements at the last minute?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Some times night before or the morning I have to pick Matthew up, He only has to stay with my ex if my parents or sister are all working and cant pick him up.

Problem is my ex has a new boyfriend and it interferes with her arrangements to go out.

I have been banned by her and her solicitor from taking Matthew to my girl friends if and when I get access. They don't get on, but I have to suffer.

What is the objection to your girlfriend - how long have you been together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been with my current girlfriend for just over a year, the same time my ex has been with her boyfriend. Since we have had different partners things have gone downhill. It is alright for her to have a boyfriend but she objects to me having a girlfriend as she lives just around the corner from my ex and there is animosity between the two of them. My ex has told me through a solicitors letter that my current girlfriend is not to see my son or her two boys of the same age which obviously complicates matters as the are at the same preschool. My girlfriend suffers daily abuse from my ex's mother and uncle as they work in the same supermarket and the situation is becoming intolerable. My girlfriend adores my little like her own children. She is a good mother and her boys do not understand why Matthew no longer is allowed to play with them. My ex takes our son to school late and collects him early to avoid meeting my current partner. This must be effecting my son as badly as it is effecting me.
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
Neither parent can dictate what the terms of contact should be - it needs to be agreed between you - and if you cannot agree then the court will have to decide the issue.
You should make an urgent appointment with a local Family mediator
to deal with establishing a pattern of contact you can manage that includes overnight contact - and your current partner
If your ex will not agree then you will have to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order which is enforceable
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you