How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My partner has been divorced a year, they never agreed

Customer Question

My partner has been divorced for over a year, they never agreed a financial settlement , he walked away from the house and all contents with just his clothes. He has supported his children until they became adults. His ex wife has now written to him via a solicitor asking him to agree a settlement, but also asking what he proposes such a settlement to be.... Does he need to have a solicitor at this stage, to write on his behalf? If not, are there any pitfalls he should avoid in his reply? He is not well off and all he wants is a fair division of the house. What would you recommend?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
What other assets and debts do they each have?