How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

After my divoice October 2014 I moved to a new area, my daughter

This answer was rated:

after my divoice October 2014 I moved to a new area, my daughter (age 11) has stayed at the primary school in our old town, which means I drive 27 miles every morning to take her to school and then on to work and i do the same each night, she hasn't long until she moves to high school so i saw no benefit to move her mid year.
I've told my ex husband that from September, I want our daughter to attend a high school in the area that I now live (27 miles from him) and not in the town he lives.
We have no court or maintenance order in place, we arrange access ourselves, can my ex husband stop me from moving our daughter to a high school in the same town that myself and my daughter live?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where does your daughter wish to go to school?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Having spoken to her, she wants to make friends where we now live in Bolton so she is happy to start senior school here.
I am concerned her father may try and make her feel guilty or that I am taking her away from him. I am not, I've ensured he has lots of access.
There are other factors, our eldest daughter leavers for University in September, we have split the travelling to and from Bolton between ourselves. Their father has never once offered to help me with travel from Mossley where he lives to Bolton where we now live.
That means the responsibility to take my youngest the 27 miles each way to and from school falls on me. I work full time, therefore she will have to go to her fathers house every night and wait until I get there from finishing work, 6pm - will will get to Bolton Round 7-7:30pm, I then have to cook dinner etc., we will have to leave at 7:15am the next morning in order for her to be in school by 8:30am.
Presently her sister collects her 2 nights after she'd finished college and drive home to Bolton. My ex husband has not once offered to share any of the travelling. This has also made the decision of our youngest going to school in Bolton make more sense as she can travel to and from school herself from my home. She isn't reliant on me and she wants some form of independence herself, she wouldn't have that in Mossley or be in a position to make new friends in the area that we now live.
I also may not be in a position in the future to take her to school if I had to change job, it's only now because she's in primary school that I start work later so I can take her to school. I don't think my employer will have the same opinion when she is in senior school.
Kind regards
Lynne Higginbottom
Your ex is entitled to be consulted in respect of which school the child goes to - and if he does not agree with your choice then he can apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent any move until the Court has decided whether or not the move is in the best interests of the child
From all that you have said he would not be successful - unless he is willing to take on the bulk of the travelling.
If he does raise issues then offer to discuss matters with him using Family mediation
and using a Mediator trained to work with young people
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you