How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35077
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Is it possible to change your solicitor having just agreed

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to change your solicitor having just agreed for the divorce petition to be sent to the courts? It should have gone today.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Could you explain a little more about the problem and what you wish to achieve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm rather concerned that although my solicitor had seemingly agreed to a certain course of action in the divorce proceedings I am now not so sure. I feel I am, perhaps, rightly or wrongly so, now being guided otherwise. (She has had no feedback from my husband at all at this stage). It has left me feeling extremely worried and anxious, given my personal circumstances (unable to work due to ill health) and I feel I have lost confidence that she is going to fight my corner on all counts as I had originally understood she would.

As my husband refuses to move out, although he has been asked to go voluntarily both by my solicitor and myself, I haven't really anywhere to go other than, perhaps, my parents, but I don't know think that really is a possibility. I was quite taken aback when my solicitor asked where I would go if I were to leave having originally been advised by her to stay in the home. I really feel that she is suggesting I go which I won't do for many reasons. I understood, perhaps wrongly so, that if I were to leave I would lose some of my rights. I need to feel confident and assured that she will do her best by me which I am certainly not feeling now and so I come to you with this question that if, after discussing my concerns with her, I still do not feel comfortable and confident would I be able to change solicitors.

Thank you.

May I ask which part of the UK you are in - and if you are a private paying client?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I'm private paying. Why is it necessary to know where in the UK I am?

Because there are different laws in Scotland, England and Wales, and Northern Ireland!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm in England.

Thank you for that
You are entitled to change solicitors any time you wish to do so - all you need to do is pay the bill and ask for the file!
However in fairness your solicitor may simply have wished to clarify the options that would remove you from a potentially volatile position.
You lose no rights at all from moving out!
Do please ask if you would like more details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. Apologies for my brain malfunction earlier regarding my location in the UK!

Presumably, as the petition has already gone and the court fee is paid should I change solicitors I won't incur any further costs regarding the petition?

Please do not worry - stress does that to all of us.
From what you have said no there should not be any further costs
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you