How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I are getting a divorce, we both at present

Customer Question

Hello, my wife and I are getting a divorce, we both at present live with her parents and she will continue to do so. We own a property which has been sold, completion end of may. The money left over is £190,000. We have 1 dependant child who is at sixth form and he will live with her. I am disabled with MS and have to find a property that is for my needs, no steps, wet room, hand rails etc. I have these at present at her parents property. We have agreed that the children will not be an issue as we have agreed that we shall share the costs for clothes etc. I would like to know what proportion of that money I would be entitled to considering my illness and requirements.
Many thanks
Gary Lloyd
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What income do you each have?
How much will you need to purchase a suitable property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My income is my ill heath pension of £15,600 and my wifes is £27,000 per annum. To purchase a suitable property is a good question, I am looking at mobile homes, they are ok but would need conversion with hand rails ,wet room installed and slopes for entrance. Ideally it would need to be wheelchair friendly but as I am not wheelchair bound at present then I don't think that would be an option, however I probably will be in a couple of years if the disease progresses at the same rate. A property that has enough space for a wheelchair and conversions would probably be between £90,000 and £110,0000

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Following my response, I can also state that my wifes income is at present reduced from £32,000 per annum due to her having a operation on her shoulder, therefore she will not receive night premiums on her salary as her contract is for night work, she is a staff nurse. She will at some stage in the near future return to the above salary. The property prices that I quoted are of properties that I have seen and do not include adaption expenses. Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
What pension provision do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I am currently receiving my pension due to having to give up work last year on ill health grounds. My wife has a private pension with Standard Life and has been paying into it for 30 years so far. We are both 49 years old


Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Given your ill health and the fact that your child is already 17 it is likely that your housing needs would be a priority for the courts
A 60/40 split in your favour could well be achievable.
This can, of course. only be a rough guide
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details