How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

How do i go about getting divorced after 22yrs seperation?

Customer Question

How do i go about getting divorced after 22yrs seperation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 2 years ago.

Helllo and thanks for your question.

You can base your divorce on the fact that you have been separated for at least 5 years. You will not need your spouse's consent to the divorce, but the divorce petition will need to be served on him/her, so you will need to provide an address for him/her so that the court can post the petition to him/her.

Here's where to find a blank divorce petition:

and guidance notes on how to complete the petition are here:

The court fee is £410. If you are on a low income, you might be eligible for some or all fee remission. Here's where to see whether you are:

You will also need a certified copy of your marriage certificate.This can be either your original marriage certIficate, or you can obtain a certified copy from the registry office where your marriage was registered. This usually costs about £10.

When you have completed the petition, you take the original plus 2 copies to your local family court office with your marriage certificate & £410. Don't forget to keep a copy of your petition for your own records.

This starts the process off. It takes about 6 months from the day the court office receives your petition to the day your decree absolute is granted, if there are no unforeseen delays.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...