How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Familylawexpert1 Your Own Question
Familylawexpert1, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6
Experience:  Qualified in 2005 and specialise in all aspects of family law, including divorce, finances and children disputes.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Familylawexpert1 is online now

I have a mortgage with my ex partner. I had to leave

This answer was rated:

Hello I have a mortgage with my ex partner. I had to leave it because after 7 years of paying the mortgage with no help from my ex I was struggling to cope. He now lives in the property while I rent with our son. I can't get any credit because of my ex and he gives me nothing for our son. I just want my name off the mortgage. What can I do?
Thank you
Is the property owned in joint names? I would advise selling the property, which will release you both from the mortgage. If your former partner is not being co-operative about selling, then you can actually apply to the court for an order to sell the property and for the court to decide the value of your interest in the property (if relevant).

This is a very brief overview but seems to be the most sensible solution, given that you cannot carry on with your name on the mortgage and you are probably entitled to at least 50% of the equity. If he is defaulting on the mortgage payments, the property could be repossessed and you will find it extremely difficult to obtain your own mortgage in the future, so I would advise you to take steps to sell it as quickly as possible.
Familylawexpert1 and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you