How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I split up 14 years ago he kept living in the

This answer was rated:

My husband and I split up 14 years ago he kept living in the house as the children were taking important exams and he wouldnt leave. In my distressed state I left and he has continued to live in the house even though the children have left 7 years ago. He is now selling selling the house what share of the house am I entitled to.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has there actually been a divorce?
Who actually owns the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is registered in both our names. We havent actually divorce

Excellent news.
how much is the house worth an dhow much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house is worth in the £270 - £300 range there is around £60,000 left on the mortgage. There are no other assets and I earn around £20,000 I think he is still on benefit which he chooses to be.

You are entitled to 50% of the equity in the property - and there is no basis on which you woudl not get his if the matter goes to court.
If your ex tries to pull out of the sale then you can if necessary apply to the court for an Order for Sale so that you can receive your share of the equity
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you