James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace

My girlfriend lent her ex boyfriend £20k to pay off

Customer Question

my girlfriend lent her ex boyfriend £20k to pay off debts when they were together, then they split up. I believe this was some years back. Is there anyway she can get all the funds, part of the funds back from him? Reason being because he has stopped having 50 50 custody of his daughter and is not paying any maintenance. They lived together for a number of years. My girlfriend has the bank records showing the transfer. Also, her ex has recently sold the house that they lived in and has disappeared. We think he will turn up eventually, but he is currently is shirking all his responsibilities financially and physically towards his child. My girlfriend is footing the bill for additional childminders and needs the cash back from her ex to cover the costs. Is there anything she can do? Also, would she have any claim on the house they lived in? I believe the boyfriend had the mortgage, but my girlfriend obviously contributed through her loan to him.
Kind regards,
When did they separate and when did she give him the money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your response. They separated September 2013 and my girlfriend loaned her ex the money circa 29th September 2011.

My girlfriend lived with her ex boyfriend for just under 4 years. They have 1 daughter together who is 3 1/2 years old.

We can supply more detail as required. Thanks in advance.

Who owned the property that was sold?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe it was the boyfriend who owned the property. My girlfriend had been living with him for just under 4 years.

My apologies for the delay
Did he promise to repay the money within a certain time?