How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35085
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am one of four siblings. We are all part owners of our parents

This answer was rated:

I am one of four siblings. We are all part owners of our parents (deceased) house. one is living in it, paying nothing to the others. I would like my share now, as I am older than the others by some way. I did offer my share to them cheap, but none would take up the offer. how can I overcome this small problem.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
As a joint owner of the property you can apply to the court for an Order for sale at any time.
There is no defence to such a claim (unless your parents's will directed that he should live there unchallenged) and if necessary the court can order that your sibling vacates the property to allow you to deal with the sale.
The process is set out here
An official letter setting out the law may be sufficient to produce offers to purchase your share
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you