How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My name is ***** ***** I have 4 sons to which my youngest

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have 4 sons to which my youngest is with ex partner and after 2 years of not being in his life he wants access ? My youngest who is eight has cystic fibrosis and his dad doesn't know what mess he's on or anything . Can he just come back after 2 years and demand access ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What Contact has he actually asked fro?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's ask for visitation and shared custody, he hasn't been around for the last 2 years and doesn't know what meds he takes as he has cystic fibrosis . I've not stopped him from seeing his son and have kept him updated with his illness . He's not even been to visit while he was in hospital
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Would you be willing for him to see the child is the safety of a Contact Centre?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I would supervised visits would be fine. Just want him to be consistent in seeing his son and not showing up when arranged.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Although the law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents this has to be consistent and safe.
If your ex does indeed wish to become a part of your son's last then he should be given the chance to prove it - and offering two hours a fortnight at a Local Contact Centre means that your child will be safe and your ex can start to build a relationship with him.
If he sticks to the arrangements then after six months things could move on - but that is a very big if.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details