How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My friend signed a joint tenancy agreement mother if

This answer was rated:

My friend signed a joint tenancy agreement for the mother if his child although he never lived there. His daughter is now 19 so he has stopped paying maintenance and now his ex partner has stopped paying rent. The landlords are seeking an accelerated possession order to evict her and he will be included on this. Will this affect his credit rating. Is it the same as a court order?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that it is indeed a Court Order and it is likely that it may well have an impact on his Credit rating
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you . Is there any way he can prevent it I realise the first stage will be a solicitors letter then application for possession order, in the 14 days they have to contest it, can he apply to court to exclude him.
What is his ex planning to do after she has been evicted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea, she is not communicating with him., we only know about this via the landlord As no arrears are being claimed would possession order be equal to a county court order for non payment of a debt ?
Sorry - please clarify the arrears position
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The "accelerated possession order" only gives the landlord possession of the house it doesn't include the rent arrears which is why I wondered if it affected credit rating as there will be no financial debt
The debt will remain outstanding and the Landlord can pursue it later.
The only way around it (and I appreciate that this is NOT going to be attractive) is to offer the ex a lump sum to leave so that the proceedings can be dismissed
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you