How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

ThereI have recently separated from my partner (not

This answer was rated:

Hi there
I have recently separated from my partner (not married) and my 3 year old son lives with her at my old house. We had mediation to sort out all of the financial side of things. During this mediation my ex said she would like to change my sons surname. He currently has my surname and I am on his birth certificate as the father and I share parental responsibility. At the time I said no.
My partner has since suggested that she will change his name (unofficially) anyway. For instance, at his nursery and when he goes to school. I understand that this is not a legal change but my question is that is she allowed to do this without my consent?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
In fact your ex cannot change his name at Nursery or School who have to use the correct name as set out on his birth certificate. The same is true with the dentist doctor and his passport.
Obviously your ex can use her own name anywhere unofficially - with friends etc - but not anywhere official!
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the answer.

I have read some examples (online so possibly not true!) of where the official name is ***** ***** the school register but the school use the unofficial name when addressing the pupil/parent. It did however say written consent was required, would this have to be from both of us or would just my ex suffice?

Schools did do this in the past - however these days they are much more aware of the law and realise that it is not something that should be done unless both parents agree
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you