How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I wish to take my grandson on holiday to spain

This answer was rated:

My wife and I wish to take my grandson on holiday to spain in august with his mother, my son who has fell out with us as we have supported his estranged partner says we need his permission to take my grandson on holiday.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and does the mother have a residence order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jace is 2 years old as of the 13th May, their are no court order's in place, all contact with the father is done by mutual consent, this sometimes means him (my son) picking him up and dropping him off at our house depending on the current relationship between him and the mother.

Technically you do indeed the permission of your son as well as his ex if you wish to take the child abroad.
The other option is for the mother to apply to the Court for a Specific Issue Order to allow the trip.
The real question is how for your son will take the matter
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to confirm, the mother is travelling with us, does this make a difference.

No not at all - although unless your son actively applied to the court to stop the child leaving the country it is unlikely that you will be challenged at the airport
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you