How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

During my divorce, I signed away my legal interest in the marital

This answer was rated:

During my divorce, I signed away my legal interest in the marital home. My ex wife cannot afford to take on the joint mortgage in her own right, and cannot remortgage due to her low income.
I would like to be free of the mortgage (I don't pay towards it, but my name is ***** ***** it).
Is there anyway I can force this issue?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When was the Decree Absolute?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Are there any minor children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

The decree absolute was early November 2013. The house is worth around £180K I guess and the outstanding on the mortgage which is interest only is £165K or thereabouts.

My son lives with his mum mostly although I do have a custody arrangement where I see him regularly. He is 6 years old.


What does the Financial order actually say about the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is or was no financial order.
The signing over was done after the divorce as I was going though an IVA.
The divorce paperwork states that my ex wife should make all practicable and reasonable efforts to take on the mortgage in her own right. Obviously this has been quite some time now, and I want to move on. My current partner is understandably nervous about the mortgage although I'm told that there is a document in place that indemnifies me from action in the event of her defaulting on the payments, her solicitor has advised her not give me this.
Does your ex have a new partner living with her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare
Not as far as I know!
She's very cagey about her relationships, but I'm sure my son would have mentioned something.
I do not have good news I am afraid.
You are not going to be able to force a release from the mortgage until your child is 18 or your ex cohabits.
This woudl have been the case even if the matter had gone to court at the time of the divorce rather than you simply agreeing it.
You can ask your ex to approach a mortgage broker once a year to check the situation - but that is the most she has to do.
However it would be sensible to have a Consent order prepared and sealed by the court confirming that in the event that she cannot obtain your release from the mortgage when your child is 18 then the property will be sold.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you