How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am looking at moving in with my partner of 2 years, I have

Customer Question

I am looking at moving in with my partner of 2 years, I have a 7 year old son with my ex partner, he is threatening to take me to court and stop me moving, is this possible?
i have offered to meet half way and also to take my son to him to remain contact the same as it is now, I am only moving a*****away and we currently live 20 mins from each other so essentially this will only be an extra*****
Please can you tell me is he able to stop me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What are the current arrangements for contact?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no orders in place we have been split for 3 years and my ex has my son every other weekend and a cple of hrs in the week which is something we agreed on, he used to have him more but changed it to suit himself! I would just like to know if it is possible for him to stop me moving even though his contact will his son will remain and i have never stopped contact.


Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Your ex can certainly apply for a Prohibited Steps order to prevent you from changing schools until the court has decided whether or not a move is in the best interests of the child.
Whether or not the Court will sanction the move wildepend on anumbernof factors, but if the contact arrangements remain the same and you take the responsibility of the majority of the extra travelling involved then it is likely that the court will indeed allow the move.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply can you tell me how long it takes him to apply for this order?

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
It can be applied for as an emergency order and made within days.
The full process - leading to a final decision takes between three and four months