How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I remarry my ex-wife will she have a new claim to the property

Customer Question

If I remarry my ex-wife will she have a new claim to the property (house) that we live in.
On divorce she received a mutually agreed sum for her share of the house.This money was raised by me through an equity release company.
If we remarried and at some time in the future she wanted to part again the only way I could raise more money would be to sell the house. This would leave me with an insufficient amount to purchase another property.
Many Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The simple answer is an unhelpful "possibly"
The actual answer will depend on how long your new relationship lasts; how much she contributes to the house - and what has happened to the Capital which you have already given her
It will not be a case of her automatically being entitled to a further half share of the equity
I hope that this is of some assistance - please ask if you need further details