How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Husband and I are separated but still married but he

Customer Question

Hi My Husband and I are separated but still married but he is still living in my house as he is 85 and I don't want to disrupt him. I still get on well with him but I am only 65 and have been married to him for 30years. His name isn't on the deeds as it was in my name before he moved in. I know he is entitled to half should I sell but would it have to be sold if he had to go into a home
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - you wish to remain married and do not wish him to leave the property
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What i would really like is to be able to sell the property and move on with my life but as he is 85years old I cannot do that. I have offered to buy somewhere with a separate annexe for him but all he says is I am happy where I am

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You will not have to sell the property if your husband has to go into a nursing or care home.
You should however consider carefully what the position will be if you pre decease your husband.
Please ask if you need further details