How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am separating from my husband who is currently in the navy.

This answer was rated:

I am separating from my husband who is currently in the navy. He has 27years service and will be leaving next year. We have been together for 15Years. His cash equivalent pension figure is £250000.00 . I believe that my entitlement of this fund would be £69000.00. He has offered me a one lump cash settlement figure of £38000.00 . Please can you advise if this is a fair amount? Please note this is a one payment offer only which is his lump sum payment.

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are you and are there any children involved?
What pension provision do you have?
What other assets are there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 45. 1 child age 12. I have no pension provision as we focused on husbands . We have a house which currently has 30k equity. He is offering me a settlement of 22,500 K for house so in total there is a lump sum payment of 60k

Who does the child live with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi he will be with me and then stay with his dad once or twice a week.

Where will you live if the property is sold
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is planning to remain in the. Property. There is 38k equity in the house and has offered 22k and then 38k as a pension settlement which is a total of 60k settlement figure. I will then use this as a deposit for another house. I just need to check that this figure is a true reflection of what I am entitled to.

Do you wish to move out at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi clare. I'm happy to do this as long I can make sure that I the right . financial settlement for me and my child

HiWhat income do you each have?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I earn 26k and he currently earns 42k

The starting point for division of the equity is 50/50 - although if you insisted on staying in the property then your ex would not be able to force a sale until your son is 18
He has offered you essentially a 60/40 split (and I assume a release from the mortgage) - on the lower side of your entitlement - but not below it.
You have correctly calculated your Pension Share - and clearly understand that a Pension fund is not the same as Cash.
He has discounted the sum by roughly 45% - which is generous as I generally suggest a 70% discount - so that is on the more generous side of your entitlement
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you