How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can my wife from whom Im separated claim on a house if I buy

Customer Question

Can my wife from whom Im separated claim on a house if I buy it after we separated?
She has two of her own properties, and works part time. We have 3 children who live with her and I have them for alternate weekends.
We had a house that we sold 12 months prior to separating and 50% of the equity I am going to use to buy my new property. (she is keeping the other 50%).
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your new property will form part of the assets that the court will consider if there is a dispute over the finances and an application has to be made
However her two properties will also be taken into account and accordingly it is likely that the court will in fact simply allow them to "cancel each other out" as it were
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details