How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son is now 18 and about to go to University, I have paid

This answer was rated:

My son is now 18 and about to go to University, I have paid maintenance for 15 years without missing a payment support my children to the best of my ability and have a great relationship. When he goes to Uni I plan to put money into an account for travel and emergency use but am I still liable for maintenance?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you pay under a Court Order, via the CSA or voluntarily?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pay under a voluntary agreement between me and my ex wife, however, it was approved via a court. My son will also be in receipt of a grant and student loan when he goes to Uni part of the reason I am asking this.
In that case your liability for Maintenance ceases in the next two months and you can indeed make your own arrangements directly with your son
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you