How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a mortgage with my ex partner. She lives in the house

This answer was rated:

I have a mortgage with my ex partner. She lives in the house with my two children. A court order for when the children stay with us both. I want to be removed from the mortgage and gain my share of the profit in the house. My ex partner says she cant afford to buy me out and I must continue to pay my half of the mortgage. Where do I stand?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Ho wold are the children and how do they share their time between you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Probably another 17 years left to pay. Property is worth probebly £120k.

Girls are 7 and 4. Court order sets out that I have them week 1 Wed after school until Fri drop at school and week 2 Fri after school until Mon drop at school. I also have 3 weeks in summer hols, 1 week at easter and 1 week at Xmas. Half term are then every other one they are with me.

is your ex living with someone else - and were you ever married to each other.
How much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her new partner stays 5 nights per week at least. His home office is at the property. We were never married. Approx £80k to pay on mortgage.
Does the partner have a property elsewhere?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he does. I believe he still has the home he shared with his wife.
For clarity = is that where he stays the other two nights a week?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is
You are under a legal duty to help house the children until they are 18
accordingly you cannot force a sale before then unless you can show that they are cohabiting
The fact that he has his office there is very good evidence of the co-habitation despite the two nights he spends elsewhere, but that does not mean that it will be easy
Your starting point i sto try and discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why is the expectation that i have to pay for their mothers home and also my home!? I pay monthly for the children, pay half the mortgage and pay to rent a house. How, in the eyes of the law, am i supposed to provide a future for myself, my children and a new relationship if i am still paying for my past for another 13 years!?

My ex doesn't even communicate with me, so mediation would be a waste of time.

What will happen if i refuse to pay the mortgage?

You do not need to pay half the mortgage as well as child maintenance - my apologies I should have made that plain.
You remain liable so far as the mortgage company is concerned - but your ex cannot force you to pay your half.
I suggest that you write to her and say that form now on you will only pay the Child Maintenance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If she doesn't pay the mortgage then I may then have a bad credit reference. Can the mortgage company take me to court for non payment?

What reason should i provide in the letter for not paying? Could my ex then use this in court?

If i stop paying the mortgage, do i lose my 50% share of profits from the house if its sold?

You remain liable so far as the Mortgage company is concerned and if your ex defaults it will impact your credit rating
The letter should be polite and point out that since she has the benefit of living in the property and you do not then it is for her to pay the mortgage in fill as a form of "occupation rent" for your part of the property.
You will retain your interest in the property
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do i have a legal right to know who lives there and if it is being used for business use? By law should i also be provided with a set of keys, as the locks have been changed?

How do i get round coming off the mortgage after this stage?

Do i inform the mortgage company?

You do not need to in from the mortgage company.
If you wish to force the issue then you will need to show that your ex is co-habiting
You have no legal right to know who stays there or what your ex does there.
You are technically entitled to a key but enforcing this could be used as evidence of harassment by you