How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I have been separated years. We have

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been separated for 3 years. We have sold our family home and each have a flat. I am 62 and my husband is 69. We want to finally get divorced as he is now expecting a baby with a 36 year old woman. We are able to sort out financial arrangements ourselves and obviously at this age want to incur the least possible expense as we are both now retired. Can we just go to a solicitor and say that we have agreed a financial settlement ourselves but just need it formalised so that neither party has a further claim and then get divorced. We do not want complications, lengthy court proceedings and high costs.

Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You can start the divorce proceedings yourselves - the details are here
Once you have agreed the settlement then one of you can go to a solicitor and ask them to prepare a Consent order for submission to the Court
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you that was helpful. Can you tell me what information is needed

in a consent order form?

The financial form involved is here