How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

18 yr old going to Uni .Father not willing to support financially

This answer was rated:

18 yr old going to Uni .Father not willing to support financially in any way. Scotland.
Parents separated 10 yr plus
Any help please?
Thank you for your question.The law on this is quite clear and is in section 1 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985. A parent has a duty to pay maintenance for a child over 18 and under 25 who is reasonably and appropriately undertaking a course of full time education or training. If the father refuses to maintain the child, the child can take the father to court and legal aid would be made available to the child. I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you