How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a single mother to a 2 year old. She is a British citizen

This answer was rated:

I am a single mother to a 2 year old. She is a British citizen as am I and we both reside in London. Her father is on the birth certificate however, he is Nigerian and lives in Nigeria. (He also has US citizenship- dual nationality).
1)What rights does he have?
2)Do I need his permission to take our daughter on foreign trips abroad?
3) Am I able to apply to get child support payments from him?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact does the father have with the child?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The father is a dual American/Nigerian citizen who resides in Nigeria. I give him unlimited access to the child twice a year when he visits the UK. He also sees her when I visit Nigeria which is approximately twice a year too.

He has seen her at::

  • 2 weeks old - he was in the UK for 4 weeks

  • 6 months old- I was in Nigeria for 3 weeks

  • 13 months old - he was in the UK for 3 weeks

  • 18 months old - he was in the UK for 4 weeks

  • 19 months old- I was in Nigeria for 2 weeks

Please note that the father and I were never married

The father has Parental responsibility and the right to be consulted on all major issues in the life of the child.
The child has the right to contact with the father when it can be arranged
Technically you do need his permission or an Order from the court to remove the child from the Uk but in the circumstances any objection on his part is likely to be seen as unreasonable since he is not in the UK in any event
You are entitled to child maintenance - either via the UK courts or via the courts in his country of residence
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you