How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I hope you can help.My six year old grandson lives with

Customer Question

Hi i hope you can help.My six year old grandson lives with me as his mother struggles emotionally.She recently tried to kill herself by taking an overdose.But if i dont give her money or let him go with her she always threatens to remove him.As this is a private arrangement i have no legal right.I am so stressed can you help ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long has the child been with you - and have Social Services been involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire,he has been with me on and off for the last 12months.He came to me permanently in are not involved.I receive his child benifit and have just applied for child tax credits.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
What contact does he have with his mother - and where is the father?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,there is no father,she dosnt know who he is.She calls here ,but its usually when hes at school.Very occasionally she will call in after school for ten minits.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare this isnt working its too disjointed.I have made an appointment to see a family lawyer.I understand if you have to keep the original £26 although i havnt received an answer.But please delete my details from your site,as i feel that i didnt receive what i paid for.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay.
You do not have to be so afraid of your daughter's threats.
The fact is that in the event that your daughter tried to remove the child from your care then a phone call to Social Services would lead to the child being placed in your care in any event (indeed possibly with financial support).
If you would prefer not to go that route (understandable) then you can apply to the court for an Order that the Child lives with you.
You will need permission to apply to the Court for the Order - but this is in fact a simple step and there is no doubt that it would be granted.
It would be most effective to make the application after the next time she threatens to remove the child from your care as this will enable you to make an Emergency applictaion.
You can read more here
Please ask if I can be of more assistance - otherwise you can access a refund from your side of the site!