How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex and I split up in March 2012. My new partner moved in

This answer was rated:

My ex and I split up in March 2012. My new partner moved in a few months later. She says that she is entitled to some rent from my new partner which she says is £1300 (value of houses rental income if it were let) less the mortgage of £675 per month, divided by 2 giving £312.50 per month and she wants it back paid even though there was never an agreement for this.
Is she entitled to rent?
Is she entitle to back pay?
We currently pay all of the bills, she has no financial input into this
She says the other option is for my partner to move out. Does she have any say on whether my partner lives here or not. The house is in joint names.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity who has been paying the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been paying everything, mortgage, house insurance, utilities, council tax etc. There has been no financial input from my ex (Rachael) since she left the property in March 2012.



In that case your new partner is in the property as your house guest and any financial agreement is personal between you.
The fact that you are paying your ex's share of the mortgage as well as your own is by way of "Occupational Rent" for your use of her share of the property
There is no basis on which your ex can make any claim whatsoever
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you