How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I separated from my husband at the end of last year

Customer Question

I separated from my husband at the end of last year, we had lived separate lives for a while before I actually left and during this time (living separate lives) I saw an old school friend and a friendship began. Even though we were living separately in the same home my ex-husband took offence and challenged my friend creating a scene in public, police were called although there were never any charges or claims brought against either party.

I have since continued to see my friend, we currently have no intention of moving in together or any form of cohabitation, to be frank I don't even know if our friendship will progress to become a "relationship" but for the time being we are both reasonably happy.

This week my son is on work experience from school and is working with his father (my ex-husband) at a company he owns, my children live with me but as my son is working with his dad he has taken the decision to stay at dad's house for the duration of the work experience, it does make sense. Today, son has advised me that father has asked if he would mind if he or me had a girlfriend or boyfriend, my son being aware of the situation with my friend, simply said no, he and his younger sister would not have an issue. His father then advised him that he could have a say in who I saw and mentioned my friend by name, apparently saying that he could stop me seeing someone who he didn't want around my children. Can he do this?

My friend is a teacher and therefore "cleared" to work with children and vulnerable people etc., no criminal record to my knowledge and a generally well respected man.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your husband is simply wrong.
Unless any new partner is a known risk to children then your husband cannot prevent him from seeing the children.
Indeed even if he was a known risk to children your ex could not prevent YOU from seeing him - just the children.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details