How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a gay woman woman who used to be in a civil partnership.

This answer was rated:

I am a gay woman woman who used to be in a civil partnership. We had 2 children together. I am the birth mother. After their birth we adopted them as a step parent adoption. She left the home 3 years ago to get with another partner and I have been living with the children. I have the children Mon - Fri and for about half of the school holidays and she has them for weekends and for the other part of the school holidays. Due to recent circumstances things are not great between us right now and I am concerned that as she is unhappy with me that she may go for a residence order. Legally I believe that it is down as a shared custody. As I am birth mother does that give me any legal leverage if she does go down that line or due to the adoption is it absolutely equal status for us both.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that you do indeed have equal status - and even without the adoption the position is not likely to have been any different.
The important issue is the needs of the children for stability - which generally means the Status Quo, although it is likely that there will be some concern that you never get to have a weekend with your children
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you