How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

How can I make my mother a legal guardian to my son should

Customer Question

How can I make my mother a legal guardian to my son should anything happen to me? I currently have custody and am disabled following a stroke 18 years ago. His father and I were never married, although he is named on his birth certificate. However I do not know where his farther lives and he pays no money towards his upkeep and rarely sees him. My mother has helped me raise my son since I kicked his father out when my son was 2, as he was violent to me. Would I have to go to a court or solicitors to make my mum guardian of my son in the event of my poor health? And would it even be possible? Many thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and do you actually have a Court Order stating that the child lives with you?