How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Myself and my partner are going our separate ways Who do

Customer Question

Myself and my partner are going our separate ways
Who do i go to first ?
A solicitor - as no communication at the moment between us - but still in the same house
with 2 children who will be staying with myself
Hoping to keep the house but need also to see if this is possible through the
mortgage people
so do i check this first
Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.How old are the children and are you and your partner married?How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are not married the children are aged 16 and 12

Not sure how much the house is worth and how much outstanding should i find this out first and get the house valued. Think its about £58,000 left to pay


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My children are aged 12 and 16 we are not married

Not sure how much the house is worth - should i get this valued

got approx £58,000 left to pay


Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
My apologies for the delay I have been unwell
At this stage an idea of the value via a site such as Zoopla is sufficient.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had the house valued

now need to know whether to go to a mortgage adviser or solicitors first