How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33357
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I have a joint mortgage, my ex partner has left over 5 years

This answer was rated:

i have a joint mortgage, my ex partner has left over 5 years has not paid anything to the mortgage. today she has advised she will be gaining forced entry into the property where i live with my new partner and child. she has her own rented property and has no belonging s here what so ever
Technically she would be able to enter and move into the property on the basis that the deeds are in joint names. You may wish to consider applying to the court for an occupation order. This can be done straight away. An occupation order is an order issued by the court which sets out who has the right to stay, return or be excluded from a family home.An occupation order doesn't change the financial shares in a home. It is usually a short-term measure and the length of time that it lasts will depend on your circumstances. In many cases an order will last for 6 or 12 months and some can be renewed. When applying for an occupation order you have to complete a court form and provide a witness statement setting out why you're asking for the order. Usually, the papers will be sent to the person you want the order made against to give them a chance to reply and prepare their own witness statement.Please rate
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you