How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughters mother and I divorced in 2002 when my daughter

This answer was rated:

My daughters mother and I divorced in 2002 when my daughter (Phoebe) was 2. After she contacted the CSA to claim maintenance (which I was paying for anyhow) that's not the issue I have. If you could help with the following I would appreciate it;
- Phoebes mother moved after the CSA was managing maintenance payments, she did not and would not tell me where they had moved.
- Phoebes sir name has been changed and or has been known by a different sir name since her mother had remarried. I have never given consent for this. I did suggest in the early years if they wanted to adopt her and do it properly then I would not object to the name change.
- During the divorce, I split my share of the equity in equal halfs, I gave her mother one half and placed the other half in a trust fund for Phoebe Freeman for when she is 18 as a gift from me to give her a financial boost.
Phoebe has been told by her mother that this money was her share of the house, not from me.
The trust is in the name of Phoebe Freeman, this is not and has not been her name for the last 10 years at least. Does Phoebe 'Mosely' have a claim to this money?
If you can help, thanks in advance.
Nick Freeman
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What ocntact do you have with your daughter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After refusing to let Phoebe have the money at 16 she has not contacted me at all, it was through face book and a couple of meet ups, I was sending her some spend money in the bank but that has stopped since paying for a holiday for her. No contact with her since about April this year from September last year.
When does the Trust deed say that she should receive the money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When she is 18, not necessarily on her birthday.
Not withstanding the change of name your daughter is still entitled to this money when the Trust is wound up.
All she would need to do is provide a copy of her Birth Certificate confirming her identity
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything I can do about the change of name?