How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33528
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My Daughter is due to give birth in 5 weeks and the baby's

This answer was rated:

My Daughter is due to give birth in 5 weeks and the baby's father wants nothing to do with her or the baby. He does not want his name on the birth certificate. His mother is now harrassing my daughter over her 'right' to have contact with the baby. Could you tell me what her rights are please?
The starting point is that the paternal grandmother does not have any specific 'rights'. She would if agreement as to spending time with the baby can not be agreed (this could be either face to face or mediation); need to make an application to the court for both permission to make an application and then an application to spend time with the child. She is not assisted by the fact that the father is not on the birth certificate or have parental responsibility, but these are not insurmountable hurdles. She would I would suggest be allowed to spend some time with the child - maybe weekly or fortnightly.I hope that this helpsPlease remember to rate positively.
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you