How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33540
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My ex partner collects my two children once a fortnight, i

This answer was rated:

My ex partner collects my two children once a fortnight, i collect them at the end of the weekend, we both travel at least 1 hour either way. he works i don't, cant travel anymore due to expenses. court ordered i take and collect as per, please advise likely out come as he will take me back to court
did you work originally?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Before we separated I did. During relationship/after relationship ended not. court order was installed whilst not working

The court is going to be keen to enforce the present arrangement or if possible find some kind of compromise (meet half way). They are going to be reluctant to make the father do all of the travel/cost unless you can show to the court that you simply can not afford it financially. I can not see them making any other changes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am continuing at the moment these arrangements but it is looking very likely that I will no longer be able to afford to run my car and may have to sell it. What would be the outcome if I didn't have a car, the journey is 70miles on the motorway
If you didn't have a car then the court would have to look at alternative such as the train or indeed father doing both parts of the journey.
Dear Faye,
I hope this helps
Please remember to rate positively so that I get my credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please could you advise on another question, if I no longer had a car but my new partner did, would they look at why I can't use his car, even though he uses for work and has a terminally ill father and needs to be nearby
I will do - can you positively rate me on the first question and then I will happily help for the second
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
They would not look at your partner's car if you said you did not have access to the vehicle for the reason which you have provided
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please can you advise the correct channels to go down to get a court order amended, he was the one that had it written up and approved
When was it approved by the court
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was march this year
You should normally wait 6 months before applying to the court to vary the order