How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33534
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My 18yr old daughter ( 19 end of year ) might be going away

Customer Question

My 18yr old daughter ( 19 end of year ) might be going away to Uni in Sept. My 16yr old son is planning on joining the military in Sept, rather than 6th form . Both children reside with their mother, & @ the moment I pay for both of them . How will this change based on the above scenario?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
What is agreed between you and the mother?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Verbal agreement. I pay Her £350pm.

I want to know what happens if 1 goes to Uni, the other in the Raf.

If my daughter ( 18yrs ) doesn't go onto uni, I assume my payment for her stop.

My son going in the RAF, as an apprentice engineer ( not the Raf college ) I find confusing as he'll be "working" living away from home etc.

I am happy to provide for my kids directly to them if that's the case. Less so to their mother if they are both away from home


Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I see. Child maintenance payments usually stop when the child reaches 16 (or 20 if they’re in full time education which means not higher than A-level or equivalent). You can of course make payments directly to the child after this date. Where she is planning on attending university then they can apply to the courts for maintenance from you. The courts do have the power to extend child maintenance to cover the duration of higher education if the you has the ability to cover the costs.But unless that happens your daughter's payments would stop at University.If your son is living away then this does not appear to be one of the apprenticeships where you would still be liable to pay maintenance.I hope that this helps.Please rate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At 16 surely my son is still a minor. Does this mean the the RAF effectively take over as guardians ?

Can their mother insist I Pay her regarding my daughter, or at 18 can I make arrangements to pay my daughter directly.

( paying for my kids is fine, paying their mother to keep her lavish choices, when my kids no longer reside with her, Another )

I need to be 100% clear on the legal requirements under the scenario I've detailed

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
You can make arrangements to pay your daughter directly when she starts University. He would be an employee with the RAF - it is not a guardianship it is an apprenticeship.I hope that helpsPlease rate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I then do the same with my 16yr old son, or because he's 16 will I have to keep paying his mother.

The law seems very complex on this issue... I am obviously concerned my boy is technically still a child albeit "working" via an apprenticeship.

After all not all apprenticeships provide accommodation

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Your son is 16 years of age and as such as he has left full time education you would normally stop paying maintenance. Normal apprenticeships would complicate matters but this is a different type and as such you would not need to still pay for him.