How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33388
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

Me and my partner have split up after 18 years we were engaged

This answer was rated:

Me and my partner have split up after 18 years we were engaged but not married and lived in rented accommodation,he has his own business and I work for him. We have 2 children under the age of 7 I'm i entitled to anything financially. We split because he is and was seeing somebody else, I don't know if that makes a difference thank u
The starting point is that he would be responsible for paying maintenance from the children - how much does he earn and is there any property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the business and other assets that we have both been part off
As the law stands:If there are children, the claims of the partner with day-to-day care of the children are limited to child maintenance through the Child Support Agency, and if he earns more than £104,000 net, the court can order top-up maintenance payments for the children.The court can also order that he provides a property, usually on trust, in which the children may live, but this reverts back to him when the children finish school or university.You can not make any claims in your own right for property, maintenance, pension sharing etc. However if you have invested in the business or have an equitable interest in the business (and this was always the intention) then you can bring a claim against him.Please remember to rate positively and I can continue to help
Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have to of made a financial investment in to the business,does the investment of time to build the business not count for anything even though the business was always started to build a better future for us all as a family
Clearly a financial investment will help but if you can show that it was always the intention of you both to share the business or have interests in it (with evidence if possible) then that will help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you feel that this would be worth pursuing as he seems to have just walked away as the only person benefitting from anything we have done together, he is also selling certain items that we have both paid for for example a horse box
If you have proof of intent then it may be very worthwhile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your time
My pleasure